twitter
612-605-1977
f 612-605-1978
 

Open Source Development

Open source software has taken the business world by storm. Gartner Research indicates smart companies are leveraging open source for 80% of their code, while spending money on the other 20%. Open source software in the enterprise is a smart choice because of the availability in mature software products and a low initial investment. Kettle River Consulting uses open source frameworks, tools and software extensively to support client projects. Here are some of them:

Hibernate Persistence Framework

www.hibernate.org
License: LGPL

Hibernate is a high performance object/relational persistence and query service. You can develop persistent classes following object-oriented idiom – including association, inheritance, polymorphism, composition, and collections. Hibernate allows you to express queries in its own portable SQL extension (HQL), as well as in native SQL, or with an object-oriented Criteria and Example API.

Spring Framework

www.springsource.org
License: Apache 2.0

Spring is a layered Java/J2EE application framework, first released in June 2003. Since then, Spring has become a popular tool in enterprise development. >In one study, 73% of organizations that took part said they use Spring or plan to use Spring within two years.

The core features of the Spring Framework can be used by any Java application, but there are extensions for building web applications on top of the Java Enterprise platform. Although the Spring Framework does not impose any specific programming model, it has become popular in the Java community as an alternative to, replacement for, or even addition to the Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) model.

  1. It addresses important areas that other popular frameworks don’t do. Spring focuses around providing a way to manage your business objects.
  2. Spring has a layered architecture, meaning that you can choose to use just about any part of it in isolation, yet its architecture is internally consistent. So you get maximum value from your learning curve. You might choose to use Spring only to simplify use of JDBC, or you might choose to use Spring to manage all your business objects. It is easy to introduce Spring incrementally into existing projects.
  3. Spring is designed from the ground up to help you write code that is easy to test. Spring is an ideal framework for test-driven projects.
  4. Spring is an increasingly important integration technology, its role recognized by vendors large and small.

Benefits of the Spring Framework

  • Declarative transactions
  • More testable code
  • Promotes good OO design
  • Removes boilerplate code
  • Great lightweight remoting support
  • Good documentation and samples.

All of these are simply tools. If used well, they serve as a catalyst to building strong enterprise applications. At Kettle River, the applications we build are stable, fast and takes advantage of open source initiatives where possible, to the benefit of our customers.